Sunday, December 30, 2007

Balik Kampong

As I was growing up...no..no.. this is not going to be a GUIT-thingy thing, visits to my kampong were made at least once or twice a year for either Raya celebrations or weddings of kith and kins. Going back to my grandma's kampong house in Bota Kiri, Perak and seeing my relatives were something I really looked forward to. I couldn't wait to meet my cousins who'd take me and my brother into the depths of the rubber estate just behind my grandma's house on my uncle's old Raleigh to check out the squirrels and perhaps a wild boar if we're lucky?? Or visit a place I vaguely recall calling tali ayor (the Perak way of pronouncing it) where my grandma's little orchard was located and durians lay scattered on the ground for us to collect and bring home. For a girl who's lived in concrete jungles all her life, these simple pleasures were indeed a real treat.

A journey made recently to my kampong, this time with the whole clan was indeed an experience to remember. The wonderful sights along the way brought back memories of yesteryears. Days when there were no highways and it'd take us 2 days to reach our destination. How my kids marvelled at the idea of us surviving all that travelling in my dad's old Fiat without any AC!







The limestone hills and marble quarry (or what's left of them) just outside Ipoh







Yes kids.. the rice that you eat actually comes from these paddy fields

and not from the supermarket shelves


Grandma's house









Aunty Teh's house...just lovingggggg it




Aunty D...Hannan is pausing to reflect at the stairs




Did Atok really swim here ( Sg Perak) masa kecik-kecik dulu?

I'm glad we made the balik kampong journey as a family. In the 3 hour car ride, with many Geography and History lessons thrown in by both me and hubby, the kids got to see and learn much about a place that was an integral part of my life in the past. There's so much the kids need to know about their roots and the hometown where their late grandfather grew up. Nothing better than seeing and learning about it first hand.

5 comments:

elara said...

Durian season this time around ? Bestlah kalau musim derian

Anonymous said...

wild boar if u were lucky?!!! oh my, nvr knew u were so courageous, dear. Or were u hoping to get in some practice for the 100m race? :D jgn mare. love reading yr musings. they r invariably funny, esp re yr kids n hubby. how's 1st day at school?

pid

madame blossom said...

waaah.. best balik kampung.. yang ada pokok buah2an pulak tu.. (durian aje?)

i've always dreamt of staying kat kampung.. dalam rumah kayu.. near a beach.. but the catch is.. that house must have aircon and broadband.. not impossible kan?

Anonymous said...

Your kampung so nice lah. Wish i have a kampung like yours too.

aidamarie

D said...

my kids LURVE going back to the kampung - they just go wild with nature! So, mental note, bluewonder: HAVE TO BALIK KAMPUNG MORE OFTEN!!

Take care..

Hannan's Pahang Adventure