Friday, May 18, 2007

A Belated Mother's Day Wish


Perhaps it’s not too late to wish the millions of mothers around the world Happy Mother’s Day! Last Sunday, I was woken up early in the morning by my boy Yusuf who came into the room and gave me a Mother’s Day kiss and hug. Aaaah! If only everyday was like this. A couple of years ago, when my kids were much younger, I remember having to coax them into making mother’s day cards for me. In fact, it wasn’t unusual for me to assemble their art paraphernalia and give them some general instructions on how “my” mother’s day card should look like. Pathetic, but true nonetheless.

However, now that they’re slightly older things have changed. I find that I no longer need to drop hints prior to the event nor do I need to take them to the shop to purchase “my” gifts! My kids can now come up with their own cards thanks to the many Art Attack programmes. Hannan who loves art came up with this lovely card which she claimed took many, many hours to produce. It was a yellow card with little butterflies fluttering amongst flowers (Neil Buchanan would have been proud). In it she had kindly signed her younger siblings’ names since my last 3 have yet to acquire the skill of writing. They are after all 3 years old, 1 ½ years old and 5 months. Somehow rather, in between memorizing her multiplication table for her mid-year exam, she had managed to get it done.

Yusuf however, decided to take the easy way out this year. The day before Mother’s Day, when I was at MPH with my husband, he called me and asked me to remind my husband to buy my Mother’s Day card, and if possible to buy one in green. Well, so much for originality!

For what it’s worth, I loved both cards. Be it one that’s homemade or one that came from the store. Can’t wait for Father’s Day when the kids and I gang up and brainstorm on the ideal card-present-celebration for their dad.

I leave you with this :

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child - Sophia Loren



Hannan's Pahang Adventure